Friday, April 27, 2007

Music in my Studio


This morning I'm alone in my studio--the perfect opportunity to pump up the volume on my music and practice techniques I learned in my singing classes at Swallow Hill Music. I don't consider myself a musician, but I love to sing. There's nothing I love better than harmonizing with folk and roots music. I was raised in a large family in the rural South with no TV and little radio. As we did our chores or rode in the car we sang gospel tunes. Singing harmonies was what we did. I was influenced by many other genres of music from that era as I came of age --bluegrass, country, rock, blues and folk. This morning I've put some of my favorite singers in my CD changer on shuffle-- Nancy Griffith, Eliza Gylkerson and Ian Matthews, The Waifs, Emmy Lou Harris.

No comments:

Post a Comment